Stand Ye in Holy Places Lesson




Serving the young women has been such a blessing. 
I just love my girls.
It is the most rewarding thing in the world.
One of my favorite things is when it is my turn to teach on fast Sundays. 
It’s pretty selfish, but I just I love indulging in the youth curriculum.
 It is so inspiring, and always seems to be something I need a reminder on.
 I always go into the lessons thinking I am going to teach the girls something new,
 but walk away feeling like I have learned the most.

As a presidency, we decided to kick of the first week of the year 
by introducing the new mutual theme,
 “Stand ye in Holy Places”.
 I taught the lesson this past Sunday, and it turned out really well. 
The girls were really receptive and happily participated.
 Here was the outline from my lesson and a few ideas!

I encouraged the girls to think throughout the lesson how they could “stand in holy places” this year.
 I made three suggestions of how they could personally strengthen their testimonies and live the mutual theme.


Stay close to the spirit
 We talked about the power of the Holy Ghost in our lives and how it helps us to 
“Stand in Holy Places”.
We also discussed how the Holy Ghost is very sensitive and can be easily offended. 
Together we brainstormed and talked about ways we can stay close to the spirit. 
Have a good attitude.
Steer your thoughts away from yourself & direct them in gratitude and love.
Choose to accept challenges.
Pause to think about the Savior.
Flee from the appearance of evil.
Selflessly sacrifice.
. After our discussion one of our Laurels (who I had assigned earlier in the week) 
stood up and  shard her testimony on the how the Holy Ghost had blessed her life. 
It was great hearing her perspective and we were all very touched to hear her testimony.

Seek to be Obedient
We talked about the importance of PRO-ACTIVELY living the gospel.
 I remember once growing up, I had an encounter with my Stake President. 
I had a picture of the temple and one Sunday he asked me a little about it 
(it was a picture of the Cardston temple where my parents were married). 
During our conversation I mentioned how I would “try” to go to the temple one day.
 He abruptly stopped the conversation and asked me, “You will try, or you are?” 
That  moment has had such a great impact on me
 and the way I look at my life and how I live the gospel. 
Do I try to read my scriptures, or do I read my scriptures.
 Do I try to  stand in holy places, or do I stand in holy places. 
Am I trying to be obedient, or am I obedient. 
Granted it’s not a matter of being “ perfect,  but rather, a matter of eliminating excuses,
 and simply doing our best. 
Living the gospel.


I then had the girls close their eyes and think to themselves how much their Heavenly Father loved them.
 I had them think about all the good qualities and potential He sees in them. 
I then bore testimony on how much their Heavenly Father loved them and had in store for them. 
I had the girls open their eyes and I was holding a picture of the temple.

Never settle for less than your 
Heavenly Father has in store for You
The point we wanted to get across was this -
 remind the girls about their potential and never settling for less than they were worth. 
As I taught, I reminded them of their ultimate goal of going to the temple someday, 
and how that journey starts NOW.


At the end of the lesson, I invited the girls to go home 
and think about what they wanted to do this year to “stand in holy places” 
(whether it be get closer to the spirit, seek to be more obedient,
 strengthen their relationship with their Heavenly Father, etc).
 I gave them each a silk hanger that read, 
“Hang on to your values, hang on to the spirit, hang on to your testimony,
so one day you can hang your temple dress on me”.
 I told the girls that once they had set their goal, they could hang their hanger up in their closet as a daily reminder of that goal and their ultimate of going to the temple.

All in all, the lesson turned out really well.

For some of the downloads, you can click here!

 Feel free to use any ideas and leave your comments!


31 comments:

  1. Is there anyway you could share your images that you used for the lesson?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I am on vacation right now, but will be getting home on Friday. I am still learning how to share stuff on my blog (I am still pretty new to this whole blog thing), but if you need them sooner, i would be more than happy to send them to you via email! Just let me know!

      Delete
  2. Sure thing! I am currently working at trying to add them as a download, but am having some difficulties! I would be more than happy to send them to you by email if you would like! My email is court.aitken@gmail.com if you want to shoot me an email! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love a copy of your images as well, if it is ok? I would like to use this idea for our New Beginnings! Thanks
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I am on vacation right now, but will be getting home on Friday. I am still learning how to share stuff on my blog (I am still pretty new to this whole blog thing), but if you need them sooner, i would be more than happy to send them to you via email! Just let me know!

      Delete
  4. I loved your lesson, and insight. The girls are blessed to have someone like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You have no idea how much that means to me! Thanks for the kind words and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. I totally feel in love with your handouts! They are so awesome!! I would love if you could send me a copy of the images for our new beginnings:) my email is shunaeshelton@yahoo.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I get home from vacation on Friday and will make sure to send them right when I get home! I hope that is enough time! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your patience! I just sent those to you! I hope they help! Good luck with New Beginnings!

      Delete
  6. would alos love a copy of your handouts - arendjewhidden@gmail.com -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I will send them this weekend as soon as I arive home from vacation! Thanks for reaching out to me!

      Delete
    2. I just sent those off to you! I hope that they are helpful! Let me know if you need anything else!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, and thanks fr visitng our blog!

      Delete
  8. Hi- I love, love, love your ideas!! As a new YW's President I appreciate so much all of the wonderful ideas you put on your blog!! Would you please send me your wonderful images above? My email is jensonlori@gmail.com. Thank you so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, you are so nice! Thanks for the kind words! I will most definitely send you the images! I will send them by this weekend! I am currently on vacation, and arrive home on Friday! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
    2. Hey Lori! I just sent those off to you! I hope that they help! Please let me know if you need anything else! Good luck with your new calling!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing your talents with those of us who need help in that department. I would also love to use your images with my Laurels. My email is karenlish1@aol.com. You truly are filling your lamp drop by drop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen! I just sent those images to you! Good luck with your Laurels! I hope they help!

      Delete
  10. There are too many holy places for visit being a Muslim i have respect for all holy places and i love Makkah to visit that's why i booked cheap umrah tickets for this year tour with my whole family i m sure during my stay we will find peace and faith there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Amy! Thanks for your comment and thanks for visiting our blog! I have a lot of Muslim friends and acquaintances and I have so much respect for you and your beliefs. I would agree with you! It's wonderful to know that we can find a "holy place" any where we are, so long as doing the things in our lives necessary to find that peace. i wish you a happy time on your tour! Have fun with your family! Again, thanks for visiting our blog and sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  11. Can you send me your images too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! I can either send them to you via email, or else, I have also posted them online as a download! Just visit here to select what you would like to download (http://courtneyaitken.blogspot.com/2013/01/our-blog-gone-viral.html). Hope this works for you! Let me know if you need anything else!

      Delete
  12. I would love to use your images for our New beginning's lesson...I love your outline! Could you email me the lesson outline images? Amazing job! kang.family8@frontier.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized that i didn't post the outline images! I am sending those your way right now! Thanks again, for visiting and best of luck with your YW!

      Delete
  13. Seriously amazing=your blog! My ward is not nearly this creative and sad to say a little boring! I am the Laurels advisor and I am constantly trying to spruce things up! Thank you so much for sharing all of your great ideas and free printables! I will send others your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks so much! You are too nice! I know that I really struggled "sprucing" things up when i was called to the YW and was so grateful to everyone who helped me with ideas. I hope to simply pay it forward! Thanks again for your sweet words and for visiting the blog! Hope to hear from you again! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out! Good luck with your Laurels!

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Where did you find your silk hangers? We're they reasonably priced? I'm looking for about 20. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Would you mind emailing the outline images to me? I would like to use this idea for our camp devotional. Our theme is look up and this goes perfect for the "look up" to the temple devotional we're doing one of the nights! This is awesome! Love your blog!!! Kristinelson1981@gmail.com. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete